The Importance of working ON your business as well as IN it!
Business Tip: Make time to Work ON your business as well as in it!
Something I’ve learnt in more than a decade of business as a Web Designer & Business Mentor, it’s important to work ON your business as well as IN it.
For me, Working ON and IN my business has had different meanings at different times. However in a nutshell, if you’re only doing one not the other you run the chance of creating imbalance or feast and famine in your business.
So what on earth am I talking about ?
WORKING ON YOUR BUSINESS:
Working ON your business could include things to improve your business and gain more exposure:
- Writing a blog post
- Sharing an update on your social pages
- Planning out content for your website
- Creating ideas of how to market your business
- Making changes to your website
- Doing product or service research
WORKING IN YOUR BUSINESS:
Whereas, working IN your business usually includes doing the tasks to make revenue:
- Creating your product or service
- Engaging with your customers about their orders
- Following up on accounts/ collecting payment
- Tasks that are needed to keep your business ticking
Because every business is different. Finding that perfect balance between: Doing enough Marketing VS. Selling / Making / Delivery enough products or services, can be challenging.
Here’s a couple of things you can do:
- Schedule time in your diary at least once a month, ideally if you can, once a week , to work ON your business. Look at ways to grow your following, market your business and look at how you can improve the business – what information do your prospects need to know right now?
- Whilst you’re working IN your business keep a running list of things you could do – sometimes it can be hard to come up with ideas in the moment so keeping a list of ideas can be super helpful.
- Keep track of your progress. After you’ve spent time working ON your business take 5 minutes to summarise and track your progress in a journal – today’s session I did XYZ and I had these additional ideas. So next time you go to sit down and work on your business you’ll have a starting point rather than having to reinvent the wheel again.
Business Mentoring Hunter Valley | Australia
One of the many things I love about my business is that it allows me to help you with things just like this! Working ON your business can be a little daunting and it’s great to have someone who has a technical background however is down to earth and can help you overcome obstacles.
If you’d like to have a chat about your business and see how we can work together on your business to help market and grow your business, please visit our Contact Us page or send me a message via our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/nataliecrowedesigns